Monday, February 24, 2014

My 31st Birthday

Yesterday I turned 31 years old.  While I don't feel any older, 31 sounds older.  30 sounded like it was the end of my 20's, but 31 says I'm definitely in my 30's now.

I haven't gone back to Facebook so no one gets reminder notices for my birthday, but my parents and my sisters remembered my birthday, and so did Mc's parents and one of his brothers, and that was nice; it made me feel special and remembered.  Mc asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I really didn't want anything.  We bought me a carrot cake because Baby Girl said she wanted cake, and Mc got us pizza for dinner because I didn't want to cook.  I also didn't want to have to do any housework on my birthday, so I spent Saturday doing all that I could do around the house.  So the house was nice and clean for my birthday, which was refreshing.

I have one goal for this coming year, which encompasses a lot of things: achieve balance in my life.

Last week I watched "The Karate Kid" (1984) which I hadn't seen in over a decade, and one of the things Mr. Miyagi taught Daniel was about balance.  He said, "Lesson [on balance] not just karate only.  Lesson for whole life.  Whole life have a balance.  Everything be better.  Understand?"

I thought about that quote and I decided to see how unbalanced my life is, so I drew out a few pie charts and made a list of all the things in my life that I have to do and want to do.  I don't get enough sleep, and of the hours I'm awake, only about 1/4 of that time is time to myself-- or at least time without the kids around-- which I desperately need.  A lot of the things on my list are doable while the kids are awake, but there are too many things I can only do during my free time, and I cannot fit all of those things into the time that I have each day.  I'll have to alternate which things I do on certain days if I have any hope of balancing my time and my activities.

I think I'll be a lot happier if I can manage my activities better in the time I'm allowed.  I guess that's my real goal: to be happy.  And I think balancing my life and making the most of my time will be the key.


4 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy birthday! Sorry I missed it. Alas, I rely upon the Facebooks to keep me up on birthdays. They're never as exciting as when we were kids, eh? One year older and wiser too though :D

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you did have a nice day anyway. A clean house goes a LONG way for me to be happy too :) Happy Birthday, Lisa!
We love you, and hope you will have a great year, we will do whatever we can to help bring that to fruition!
Love, Mom~

Laura said...

Ahhhh, balance! I think that is the quest of most of us. I am 61 and still trying to achieve it. I must admit, that I am better at it than I used to be, but I think that it must be one of those things that we are always striving for.
We have periods in our life when things are relatively balanced, but then some external thing comes along and throws us into unbalance because we have to deal with that thing. Then we have to work again towards achieving better balance. It's a process...just like life.
I like your ideas of analyzing and better organizing your time to find that balance. I think that it does help.
I remember as a young mom feeling as if I never had time to do some of the things that I liked to do. A wise older lady in my neighborhood told me to enjoy these years when your children are young (as hectic and mundane as they may be) because they would be gone so quickly, and I would look back on them with fond memories. She was right. Those years are sweet memories for me.
I wish now that I had enjoyed the ride through those years a little more. Maybe if I had achieved a little more balance in my life I would have had a better understanding of the importance and preciousness of those years for me and my family. Who knows?

Sarah said...

Sounds like Mom needs to start posting her thoughts on her own blog. As blog posts. Longest comment in the history comments goes to Laura.