Tuesday, July 3, 2012

After All These Years!!

For years now, almost 2 decades, I've been trying to remember the title of a children's book I loved as a kid.  I couldn't remember the title of the book, the names of the characters, or most of the plot.  All I could remember of the plot was that there was a man looking for a flower which would save the woman he loved and he finds it growing amongst some rocks.  And this picture is what has stayed in my memory for all these years:


That, and I remembered the flower so well because there was a closeup of it on the page before:


Pretty, isn't it?

A few days ago I decided to search for the book online, but I didn't have much to go on.  After a couple of hours spent doing a Google search for "rose with pearl in the middle" I changed my search to "flower with pearl" and came across an excerpt from a collection of stories and I knew this was what I was looking for!

It is a German fairytale by the Grimm Brothers called "Jorinde und Joringel".  I was so happy!  But all I could find was the original fairytale in a collection of other Grimm fairy tales, and I was certain that as a kid I had read a stand-alone book (and I knew I had read it in English!).

So then Part 2 of my search was to find the stand-alone book I had read as a kid.  After about an hour I found this on Amazon.com and I was SO excited because this is the book!



After literally decades of wondering in what book I had seen that flower, I finally found it!  I immediately ordered a copy from Amazon.com and it arrived today.  The pictures are lovely, the story is captivating and interesting, and that flower is beautiful.  Joy!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is an amazingly satisfying feeling to finally find something that impressed you as a child and then finding it so many years later! It is wonderful that after all this time you still feel the same toward it. Congratulations on your find!
Mom~ :)

Stacy Christensen said...

That's neat that you were able to find that book! Was it something you read at school, because it does not seem familiar to me at all. Do you remember a book from Blacow where you read it one way, then turn it up-side-down and you read it again? It was in black and white. I love you!

Anonymous said...

That's fun :)
It's always satisfying when you're able to solve a little mystery.

~ Amy

Laura said...

What a great detective you are.