Our lender tried to get them to tell him where they think the price should be since they don't think the price is correct as it is, but they gave some b.s. answer like, "Oh, we're not allowed to divulge that information," or some crap like that. But will they send out their own appraiser? No. They just want us to get another appraisal that's lower. I would love to yell at them. There is nothing wrong with the price of our house; I think the house is worth its current listing price and we are very willing to pay that much. But there have been appraisal issues all over the state in 2012 so this isn't a unique situation; we likely would run into this issue with any house we try to buy.
Mc explained it to some friends of ours in an email and here's what he said:
"Back in the years 2005-2007, a housing bubble expanded. Prices
rose which silver-lined the pockets of brokers, banks, and appraisers
alike. This was capitalism and greed at its finest. Why were house
prices rising so fast? Well, it was a self-feeding cycle in which
people thought prices would continue to go up, so they were willing to
pay more to obtain a house which they KNEW would appreciate.
"Appraisers bought into this hype and appraised house
values higher and higher. Since they use 'comparable sales' as their
baseline, it seemed to make sense. A house that sold last week for
$270K and then 3 months later for $300K must indicate prices are rising,
so they would appraise the houses in accordance with the trends.
"In reality, it was a bubble. It burst in 2008
and banks would not loan and people would not buy houses and appraisers
were slapped on the wrist. Many banks and lenders, now saddled with a
lot of bad mortgages, decided appraisers could not be trusted and
required more stringent scrutiny.
"Fast-forward to today and you have appraisers who
are more conservative and banks/lenders who feel they cannot rely on the
third-party, independent analysis of appraisers. So, they will always
ask for additional comparable sales and then, if they don't agree,
reject the appraisal. The market in Phoenix is appreciating. Houses
are disappearing very quickly (we know, we've been looking). However,
the values have not been allowed to appreciate because of this appraisal
issue. Despite the fact that we are completely credit-worthy, they
won't lend us the money because they feel the house is not worth as much
as it was appraised for."
What I'm worried about is that the seller has significantly lowered the asking price for us once already. The appraiser determined that the house was originally overpriced by about $20,000 and the seller agreed to reduce the asking price down to the appraiser's price. Now the mortgage company is saying they'll have to lower it again, and I'm worried that the seller will chose to cancel the contract rather than reduce the price again.
Our realtor has been wonderful and he's working hard to try to get this deal to go through. I really hope things will work out. I don't want another house, I want this house; it has everything I wanted in a house and yard and I will be so sad and frustrated if I have to start a house search all over again.
Even if things do end up working out, we'll be stuck in this apartment for at least a few more weeks, and I am NOT looking forward to that.
7 comments:
Oh my. There are just so many components that go into buying a house and it is such a pain! I really hope it works out for you. It is all worth it once you have a place of your own.
Lame! That is so frustrating! Good luck.
I am so sorry Lisa. Cole and I will pray that things work out. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be. I love you Lisa.
Would it be possible to have a personal agreement with the owner? For instance, promise to pay whatever the reduced price is, and then also pay the difference as a "gift?" Does that make sense? Is that a legal option?
~ Amy
Then everyone would win. The appraisers would get their reduced price, the owner would get the money previously agreed upon, and you guys would get the house :)
~ Amy
I hope that everything works out for you. I will keep praying that it all goes through.
Oh, Lisa, what a roller coaster this must be for you! I'll get my kids praying for your house again - it seemed to work last time ;) Chin up!
Post a Comment