Sunday, June 10, 2012

Baby-Brain and More House Hunting

I've had major baby-brain twice these past few weeks, both times involving my purse.

Three weeks ago on Saturday, Mc and I were looking at two houses in our house hunt.  Right before seeing the first one, I accidentally locked Mc's set of keys in the car.  I didn't have my set with me because I thought, "I won't need my purse, we're only going to be gone a little while," so I left it at home. We still saw the first house but then the locksmith guy took over half an hour to get to where we were and that put us all behind schedule.  That, and I think the guy over-charged us.  I felt stupid.

The second time was this past Friday.  We were going to see another house and the realtor was late.  I fed Little One in the car and then made sure that I had my purse and keys with me before I locked the car.  Our realtor arrived and we went into the house and looked around, and when we came back out I saw my purse on the hood of our car.  This time I didn't feel stupid, I just felt like my brain had skipped town.  Mc joked and said, "Hey, this was a test to see if the neighborhood is safe, and I guess it is."

I usually double check important things like if we have our keys with us before locking the car, and if we bring back with us all the things we left the house with, but lately it's harder to remember to check those things.  At least I've never forgotten the kids.

*****

Our house hunt has had me on an emotional rollercoaster.  On the 1st we had arranged to see 5 houses the next day, and by the next day we could only see 2 houses because the other 3 already had offers accepted.  Then the day after that and a few days later we put in offers on two different houses and we were outbid both times.  Both houses (the first of which was the one I wrote about in my last post) had cash offers, and sellers will always take cash offers over conventional offers, even if the cash offers are for less money than the conventional ones.  People are doing that a lot around here: they offer cash for a place so they are sure to get it, but then they take the house and "invest" in it, either to flip it or to rent it out; either way it's to make money.  That ticks me off because there are people like us out there who want to buy a house to live in it.

I'm tired of getting my hopes up on houses I like and then being disappointed, either by being outbid on a house or having it go off the market before we've even gotten a chance to see it.  Going back to researching the listings and comparing houses and all that stuff has cost me a lot of sleep.  That makes me irritable and tired and I don't like being that way.  Plus, this apartment still isn't working for us and I'm reminded of that every time I try to put Little One down for a nap or to bed for the night.  I really want to be in a place of our own where we can spread out and have at least one room in the house that can be dark and quiet for our baby boy.  A few days ago I broke down crying because I felt like we were going to have to settle for something that was just OK if we wanted to get a house at all.  Mc reassured me that we will find something we like but it may take time.

Well the house we saw this past Friday was a good size-- both the house and the lot-- and the location is good as well.  We put in an offer on it yesterday and we'll see how things go.  So far we're the only ones who have put in an offer, so I'm hopeful.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Was this the house in Gilbert? It sounds great. When will you hear back about your offer. House hunting can be fun and stressful, but it will all be worth it after you move in and get settled. Whatever house you get, post pictures please.
I sure loved the week with you and the kids. You have a beautiful family. Kiss those kids from Nana.

Laura said...

Sorry about the baby brain - don't worry, you're not the only one! I hope you get a house that you love! When we were house hunting, I had to believe that it was true what a wise man once said - "Things will work out" :)

Also, I'm sorry you're so stressed! It's no fun being an emotional female :P At any rate, thanks for sparing your hubby to play with my hubby, they always have a blast! Take care!

Becky said...

Ugh, I hate baby brain! I'm sorry things aren't working out perfectly with the house hunt. I remember the frustration when we were hunting.

Hopefully things go smoothly soon.