This upcoming weekend is the semiannual General Conference for the LDS church. For those who don't know, each General Conference has 5 sessions total, and each session is 2 hours long-- 2 general sessions on Saturday, then a priesthood session just for the men on Saturday evening, and then 2 more general sessions on Sunday.
Yesterday Mc was talking to me about where he and some of his friends would watch the priesthood session of Conference this Saturday since it's now being broadcast through BYU TV. He thought of going to the house of one of our friends, and I was surprised to hear that this friend of ours actually wants to watch it because he's usually very opposed to that session. He sees it as the leaders of the church lecturing the men to not watch pornography, which topic they cover every single time, and yet women are never told how important sex is to their husbands and that they should have it with them more often; and when they're not talking about that, he feels that they're lecturing about how the men of the church are all terrible fathers and church members and that they need to do better. So at first I was puzzled, but then I found out why he wants to watch the priesthood session this time.
Right now there is a protest going on in Utah by many women of the church who want to be allowed to have tickets to go to the priesthood session of Conference. Here is a link to a short news article about it:
http://fox13now.com/2013/08/30/group-of-mormon-feminists-push-to-be-part-of-priesthood-meeting-at-general-conference/
Our friend wants to watch the priesthood session to see if they'll say anything about this protest on the news or mention it in the Conference session. I'm guessing that in the session they'll just go on like usual as if nothing is happening.
The group organizing this protest is called Ordain Women, and it's a group of women (and men) who want equality in the church regarding the priesthood. In the LDS church the priesthood is the power and authority to act in God's name, and there are certain callings (sets of responsibilities) that are only available to priesthood holders... meaning that they're only available to men. Rather than giving a summary of what this group is about, here is the link to their Frequently Asked Questions page:
http://ordainwomen.org/faq/
While having the priesthood was never something I wanted or felt like I should have, I understand their arguments and their reasons.
In the past the church has bent to political and social pressures to change their policies, such as with polygamy and with only white men being allowed to have the priesthood. I won't use this blog to bash the church, I'm just stating these things as facts. But my feeling is that eventually women will be allowed to have the priesthood, just as eventually men of every color were allowed to have the priesthood. We'll see; time will tell.
8 comments:
I understand, and I know Marie and Sarah feel the same way you do. Thanks for telling me.
Chiming in momentarily to say that I have thoughts on these subjects, but I don't feel like sharing them. I wouldn't say that my feelings coincide with yours (Lisa) or Becky's necessarily. I love you and Mike and your kids. That's all.
What I meant was that I know the three of you feel the same in that because my post-- whether the original one from a couple of days ago or this edited one-- doesn't match your beliefs and perhaps even offended you, you all would rather never read the blog again. And that's fine, I get it. I still appreciate your love.
I'm pretty sure the church teaches us to be excepting of ALL people. Just because your sister in law has a problem with your blog she doesn't need to read it and somewhat attack you about what you have written. One of the hardest things for members of the church to domismto except others views about the church. Good luck with your quest!
God bless you.
Sorry the domismto means do is to
Maybe I shouldn't write on my iPad I keep messing everything up;)
I've heard about that group, and honestly the whole thing kinda rubs me the wrong way. I don't like how they quote a scripture and twist it to back up their opinions. That scripture was in reference to coming to Christ and all being invited to partake of his Atonement and gospel. It wasn't in reference to everyone having the same role or same responsibilities. It would be interesting to find out if that group is also in favor of same-sex marriages, which is something the LDS church and many members oppose. If twisted the right way, that scripture could back up that notion as well. They say they're "calling" for ordination. Calling whom exactly? The leaders to make the change? I have a strong testimony in LDS doctrine and believe it's not up to the leaders to decide that. I believe Jesus Christ to be the head of the church, so I think the women should pray to God and seek understanding from him to know if changes will ever happen rather than stand outside the Conference center like the protesters do and draw attention to themselves. In my opinion, it seems that these women feel unappreciated and unrecognized and by seeking the Priesthood are hoping that those feelings will go away. I don't believe women need to have the Priesthood to be equal--we already are.
~Amy
Post a Comment