Today Mc and I finalized our living wills. This is mainly so that if both of us die and the kids are still alive and are still minors, they will be taken care of.
This has been on my mind pretty much since our daughter was born almost 3 years ago. I've been dreading the thought of something happening to Mc and me where we die and we have nothing in place for our kids (hence, we haven't been on many dates without the kids there, too). No matter what age they were, it would be hard enough on them adjusting to the fact that we're no longer around, but I don't want them to have to deal with the worry and confusion of where they're going to live and who will take care of them. And things are now in place for them, so that IF something tragic were to happen where Mc and I both die, all the legal things will be taken care of as quickly and seamlessly as possible.
Some parents don't see the need for a living will, and others plan to do it years down the road. To each their own, and everyone should do what they are comfortable with doing. But for me personally this is something that is very, very important, and like I said it's something I've been thinking about off and on for almost 3 years now, and I wanted it done as soon as possible.
I am SO happy that we have this taken care of; there is a lot to be said for peace of mind regarding your children's welfare.
1 comment:
You are wise to do this. It shows your love for your kids and their future. Now you can go places with peace of mind and enjoy yourselves, even though the odds are that you will both live long enough for your kids to take care of you someday. :)
Post a Comment