Friday, January 25, 2013

Movies' Potential

A while back I had a craving to watch some movies in the fantasy genre and so I went on Netflix and tried to find a few that looked interesting.  Mc and I watched one of these tonight: "Westender".

The plot was weak but okay, and there was a lot of potential there, but they dragged it out WAY too much.  I kid you not, half an hour of the movie was spent with him wandering around in the desert.  Not getting anywhere, not talking to himself and explaining to the audience what the heck is tormenting his mind so much or what happened in his past.  He's just walking, stumbling, hallucinating, and walking some more.

It also didn't help that the director was also the editor.  That's never a good idea.

There are some movies that you watch that have a lot of potential but they miss the mark.  This was one of them.  Like, I wanted to see what would happen and to see some of the things they talked about (a big major city, for example), and so in that sense I would like to see this one remade.  It's one I would watch again if it were redone and felt more "complete".  And the music was nice; they can keep that.  :)

Another movie that I've seen many times which fits into this category is "Quest of the Delta Knights".  I watched that one a lot as a kid.  And apparently MST3K featured that one on their show.  :)  That's another one that had some potential but they kind-of missed the mark in many ways.  But again, this is one I would like to see redone and just done better.

And then there are some movies that are not worth seeing at all, ever.  They have no potential whatsoever and there's no way you could ever redeem them.  "Dragon" is one of these movies.  Also in the fantasy genre, the description of this movie sounds good, but it's so bad.  They spent literally the WHOLE movie walking around in the forest talking about what they were going to do.  I think they might have actually come across a dragon; I honestly don't remember.  Those movies make me laugh because they are such a complete waste of time and such a disappointment.  Give me the plot and the direction you want to go and I can write a better screenplay than some of these writers, lol.  :)

In a way this is kind-of fun though: blindly picking a movie and wondering if it'll be good or if it'll be bad.  A little element of surprise there.  :)

2 comments:

Becky said...

Why have i not heard of any of these movies? I have to get back in the loop.

Lisa D said...

You haven't heard of them because they are terrible movies, lol! :)