Monday, July 18, 2011

Utah Trip, part 1: The Family

This past weekend Mc and I took our little Baby Girl to Utah to meet her paternal extended family. It was an eventful few days, and overall things went well.

Friday Night
Around 10:45 PM we left Arizona for Utah. I drove first and it was cool driving through the desert by the light of the full moon (and headlights). Baby Girl slept, Mc slept, and I stayed awake. We stopped at Denny's in Flagstaff and this buzzed college guy came over to our table and told us that we had the most beautiful baby. He told us we did an excellent job. We just smiled and thanked him; nice guy.

Saturday-- Family Picture
Morning: Mc relieved me from driving and I tried to sleep, but couldn't. So I was grumpy for about an hour after giving up on trying to sleep. But as we drove we came to southern Utah, and it is gorgeous scenery. If you're a camping/hiking type of person, this would be the perfect location.

We stopped in Beaver, UT where we got a screw in our tire. We wouldn't have noticed it but the gas station we stopped at has a Michelin shop next door and one of the workers saw it in our tire. The thought crossed my mind, "I bet they put screws down in the road so they're not at all surprised when they see them in people's tires." I didn't say that, of course, but I thought it even more when Mc mentioned that he'd gotten a tire fixed at that very shop a few years ago. Suspicious... But we agreed to get two new tires to be on the safe side and we continued on our way.

Baby Girl wasn't very happy to be back in the carseat, but it was just a little way to our friends' house
(I'll call the guy Blitzen and the gal Blondie) and we made it there just fine. Our daughter met theirs for the first time and they got along.



Their girl took Baby Girl's pacifier, so Baby Girl got her foot.




We got to my in-laws' house and I honestly hardly remember anything. I remember meeting my brother- and sister-in-law outside and I remember taking a shower a couple of hours later and getting ready for the family pictures, but in between there I don't remember anything at all. Except for a one-hour nap at Blitzen and Blondie's house I had been awake for almost 24 hours and my brain wasn't fully functioning.

We got to the picture location and Baby Girl met her cousins and aunts & uncles. All of them! I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pictures of those moments, but it was nice to see everyone and they were excited to see Baby Girl. She was fine until someone else held her, then she started to cry. :( She's not used to being held by people other than Mc and me so I knew it would take time for her to get used to everyone.

The photographer was supposed to be there at 6:00 PM and she didn't show up until almost 7:00. The kids ran around and played but the adults were getting impatient. First one of my sisters-in-law called the photographer around 6:20 to ask where she was and she hadn't even left the house yet, and then my sister-in-law got a call from her about 20 minutes later asking where we were: she had gone to the wrong location. Apparently "near the Mt. Timpanogas temple" wasn't specific enough and it was going to take her over half an hour to reach us. At this point we were getting ticked off. I think Mc's oldest brother was going to tell her off when she got there, because Mc's youngest sister told him to play "the silent game" and to use his competitive nature to make sure he wins. I was incredibly hungry and starting to get into that pregnancy panic mode of "I need food NOW", and the kids were hungry and thirsty as well, so my father-in-law gave Mc his credit card and told him to get something for everyone. Mc and one of his brothers went to Little Caesar's and got drinks and 8 hot 'n' ready pizzas and returned in time for the pictures. It helped me not throw up and the kids quenched their thirst after running around all over the place.

I didn't like the photographer. First of all, she kept 32 people waiting for over an hour while she took a nap and got the location completely wrong. The kids all looked nice when we first arrived but now they had grass in their hair and scratches on their hands from climbing trees. Then when she got there, some comments she made here and there rubbed me the wrong way, especially the few she directed toward my man. She better have at least taken some good pictures. She was paid full price but she is going to give my father- and mother-in-law a canvas picture of the whole family for free. That makes up for it, I suppose. It was still nice seeing the whole family together and spending time with them.

We got the big extended family pictures done and Mc and I decided not to take individual-family pictures since we were getting those on Tuesday with a friend of our sister-in-law (more on that later). So I fed Baby Girl in the car and we gave Mc's youngest brother and his wife a ride home. Baby Girl was DONE with the carseat. Poor thing had been in it all night and all day and she didn't want to be in it anymore. She cried all the way home which took almost half an hour. Once she was out of the car and we gave her some baby Tylenol for her little headache, she was better.

Sunday: Family Lunch/Dinner
The family came over for lunch/dinner on Sunday. Mc's brothers spent most of the time playing Magic downstairs and the kids spent most of the time playing outside and running and out of the house. The dog Jade got her workout for the week! Meanwhile, I tried to help Baby Girl get used to her aunts. She got used to one first and then another when she was downstairs with her cousin. Here are a couple of pictures I got of them (yes, Mc and his brother are in the foreground playing Magic).





The food at lunch/dinner was good, but I couldn't eat most of it. Since I was pregnant, all my stomach could handle were potatoes and chocolate chip cookies. My sister-in-law thinks I'm having a boy because of all the potatoes I was eating. I think we might be having a boy because I haven't been sick with this one like I was with our daughter, and I've heard that pregnancies are often different depending on what sex the baby is. We'll see in about 7 months.

It was an eventful couple of days with family. More to come in the next post.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I think that you and Mike were very ambitious to drive over night to Utah. I was just going to kabash the pictures, but Mom insisted that they must go on!
I'm sorry that the photographer was so late! I guess that is just what you get when you hire a photographer with children.
I was so happy that you guys were able to come out and visit. Your little Morgan is so cute and I am not giving up! Someday she will like me.

Laura said...

HA! It was fun to read about the stuff I wasn't there for! We miss you guys already! Thanks for posting those pics of Morgan and Alice - they're cute! Oh, and you also forgot to mention that Morgan cries when anyone else holds her that's not You, Mike, or COOPER! :) I need to buy some more "bling" for the next time we see your family!