Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Baby Girl's 6th Birthday

     Yesterday was Baby Girl's 6th birthday!  My mom was able to come out for the weekend to celebrate with us.

     Sunday afternoon we had a birthday party for Baby Girl.  I had everything I needed for the party, but I realized too late that I had prioritized things wrong, so I was doing some things while I should've been prepping other things.  I've written down a list for myself for next time so that I can see when certain thing should be done.  Lesson learned.

     Three of her friends were able to make it to the party.  All the kids played together while the adults chatted.  We had pizza for lunch and then Baby Girl opened her presents.  We got her a couple of games---a Zelda video game, a Peanuts matching game, and a fun maze game called The Magic Labyrinth.  From her friends she got lots of princess stuff, some cute stuffed animals, and something called Fuzzoodles.  I think both my kids will get a kick out of that thing.  ;)



     I asked Baby Girl what she wanted for her birthday (pumpkin pie, cake, etc.), and she said she wanted pumpkin bread.  So I had to think of a way to make that into something fun for the kids.  I decided to make mini pumpkin bread loaves, and I combined two cream cheese frosting recipes I found online into one that worked perfectly; not too sweet, not too cheesecake-like.  And my mom helped me prepare the fruit toppings.  The kids had fun with it.



Here's the recipe I made for the frosting:

1 8-oz. package of original cream cheese, cold
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

In medium bowl: beat butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.  Add cold cream cheese one spoonful at a time while mixing, until well blended.  Refrigerate leftovers.

If you want it to taste less sweet, add up to one extra package of cream cheese; if you want it to be more sweet, add up to one more cup of powdered sugar.  People who commented on those two internet recipes have said that in order to preserve the texture, make sure the cream cheese is cold, otherwise the frosting will be too runny (the heat and friction of the mixers warms up the frosting too much).  And the cream cheese should be full-fat (original) and the kind that is in a hard brick, not the soft spreadable stuff that comes in tubs.  A few other people suggested adding a bit of cinnamon when using the frosting to top pumpkin bread, and adding lemon extract when using on lemon cake.  Play around with spices and extract flavors. :)

     So that was Baby Girl's party with her friends.  For her actual birthday we took her out to dinner at, where else?: Red Robin.  :)  She reminded our waitress a couple of times that it was her birthday, and she was very happy when they came to sing to her and she got her ice cream.







     Baby Girl had a wonderful birthday.  She's loving school so far and she has made some friends.  She's sweet and caring, and I love her very much.  I tell her all the time that she's my favorite little girl in the whole wide world, and I mean it.  Happy birthday, sweet Girl.  ♡

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Love it! Cute pictures. I especially like the ones of Mike and Jesse. Happy birthday Morgan!

Laura said...

Our sweet Morgan is growing up so fast, making new friends, first birthday party with friends, in school and loving it. I love her happy nature and love for learning new things. You and Mike are so blessed to have the children that you do. They are a real treasure.

Love the pumpkin cakes idea. How fun to let the kids frost and decorate their own. I haven't done much baking lately, but I am excited to try your recipes.

Glad you got a couple of pictures of Mike in there. I miss you all so much. I am definitely retiring after this year so I am hoping that I can travel to see you after that. Give hugs and kisses to my sweet grandkids.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there! I like how the pink and purple jacket still fits her <3
~Amy