This will be a rant post.
So all of us were sick again this weekend, with me and the kids being sick for over a week now. We've gotten sick more often up here than we ever did in Arizona, California or Minnesota. I don't think it has so much to do with the Seattle weather as it has to do with both kids being in preschool now and they catch what other sick kids bring to school.
Parents: if your kid is sick, keep them home until they are healthy!!
I'm pissed off! My daughter has missed so many days of school this year because
she's caught sicknesses from classmates and from kids at the children's
museum. My kids are healthy when they go to school and to the museum and parks, and when they're sick I keep them home because that's the responsible thing to do.
We usually go to the Children's Museum on Saturdays, and almost every time we go to there our kids end up getting sick... which means that at least one idiot parent thought it would be a good idea to bring their kid there when they're sick. And a couple of weeks ago I emailed Baby Girl's teacher to let her know that I would be keeping her home for a couple of days so she can get better, and here's what her teacher replied back: "Thanks, Lisa. Double thank-you as you are one of the few parents who keeps their child home until they are well. ;) " I read that and thought, "Really?! That's common curtesy-- to keep the kid home until they are well. Apparently it's not that common."
I'm a stay-at-home mother and so it's easier for me to keep my kids home when they're sick; I understand that more often than not both parents work outside the home and that getting time off of work isn't always easy. But when your kid is sick, suck it up and stay home with them until they are well! I don't want my kids to keep get sick from your kid just because staying home with them is too inconvenient for you!
And I totally get that kids go stir-crazy when they're stuck inside all day; I've been dealing with that for the past week. But I don't want my kid getting what yours has just because you'd rather let them sneeze and cough all over the play equipment and toys than keep them home.
So I'm tired of it. I'm tired of my kids getting sick because of irresponsible parents who don't want the inconvenience of staying home with their kid until they're well. And I'm tired of getting sick because of my kids. My kids recover faster than I do because I let them sleep when they need to and I make sure they take it easy, but I don't get the rest that I need. Mc takes over with the kids when he can, but it still takes me at least a week longer than it takes the kids to get over an illness. I've missed out on family time for so many Christmases in Utah because I usually get sick while I'm out there. There are dates with Mc I've had to cancel because I get sick. Staying away from healthy people when you're sick is the right thing to do; why doesn't everyone understand this??
I guess being sick will be the new norm around here as long as my kids are in school, so I'd better get used to it. But I can still be pissed about it, too.
1 comment:
Sad to say, but I see the same thing in my classroom too. Parents send their kids to school sick and then it goes around the whole class. Every year, I have to call a few parents and remind them that if their kids are sick, they should stay home to rest and get well. Some take the advice and others don't. Some keep their kids home the first couple of days, and then send them back to school even if they still have a runny nose and a cough. You are right, it is just common courtesy.
The good news is, that these first couple of years that your kids are in school, they will get sick a lot, but then it will start to taper off. They will build up immunities to a lot of the stuff that goes around and won't get sick as often. But until then... you have to put up with getting a lot of illnesses.
I remember as a young mom being upset by it too. Keep doing your best to keep your kids healthy and being a responsible parent. It pays off. You and Mike are doing a great job.
Post a Comment