Our Thanksgiving Week trip was a mixture of very good and not very good.
Mc and I have been playing an MMORPG for a few years and there are two people that we've talked with a lot and I thought it was high time we meet them in real life. The thing is, they live in Texas and we're in Arizona. So we planned it out for this Thanksgiving week and made the trip out there to see them for a day.
It was a lot of fun meeting the man (sadly, the woman couldn't make it), and I'm very glad we made the trip out there. We also spent Thanksgiving with Mc's sister and her family in New Mexico, which was very nice. They did an amazing job with the Thanksgiving dinner; it was deeeelicious. But to help keep the kids on a normal sleeping schedule we drove at night and Mc and I tried to catch up on sleep during the day. That didn't work out so well, especially when Little One didn't stay asleep the whole time. The changes in altitude made his ears pop and that woke him up a few times, and he would wake up Baby Girl and she would have a hard time getting back to sleep. Plus, both of them move around a lot in their sleep and so sitting up in a carseat for hours at a time was hard on them.
It was SO nice to see family and friends, but this is the last time we will take the kids on a long road trip when they are this young. Unfortunately, that means they will not be going to Utah for the End of the World party nor for Christmas this year. Mc will go to Utah and I will stay home with the kids. I would love for Baby Girl to see her cousins and for everyone to meet Little One, but this experience has taught us that they are too young to handle the long trip. That's just how it is when we live so far away, and our kids' well-being has to come first.
We will travel again when our youngest child is about 2 years old. That might be in a year, it might be in 3 or 4 years; dunno. It all depends on when we have our next kid and all that jazz. But if anyone wants to see us badly enough, you are more than welcome to come down to Arizona and stay with us; we have a guest bedroom for that very purpose. :)
(P.S. I realize I wasn't clear: Mc will not be away from us in Utah for Christmas; he's going for the End of the World party and spending time with family and friends for a few days, then coming back here the day before Christmas where we will all be together. Yay!)
7 comments:
You could try traveling during the day. Bring some games and snacks for the kids and make a couple stops so they can get out during the long drive. Driving through the night for 4 out of 6 nights would be extremely difficult!
Boooo! I don't like this new plan. Not only does it mean that I don't get to see your cute kids, it means that your husband is leaving you and the kids for Christmas? This sounds like a bad plan. Now I'm sad.
But, I do agree on one point, traveling with little ones is not easy. The biggest trip we have done with both kids is a three hour car ride to Bear Lake. But we traveled early in the morning for that so I just kept stuffing the kid's faces with donuts and granola bars and it was fine.
I can't believe that you did all that driving at night with the kids. I don't think I would attempt that either.
Trial and error. That is how a lot of things will be, but it was good that you tried it. Now you know; and the kids are not worse for the ware.
Poor all of you though! I thought about you a lot that week...
Talk to you soon!
Love, Mom~
Or is it "...wear?" Oh, well.
Mom~
I was so looking forward to seeing Morgan and Jesse again, but I understand. Traveling with kids can be challenging. Next time save up your money and fly, stay for a long enough time to get your money's worth and enjoy the trip. Another alternative is to wait until they are old enough to be entertained by a portable dvd player and some good kid dvds on a car trip.
This blog entry would've been better with some pictures :)
I'll see you for Christmas!
~ Amy
Okay, I just saw pictures of your kids on Sarah's blog and now I'm super sad that you aren't coming. Those kids are so cute I just want to squish their cheeks! Sad.
Post a Comment