Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Baby-Brain

This is the part of pregnancy that is bugging me the most: my "baby-brain" as my husband calls it. Basically it's like the intelligence part of my brain is running at about 50% and I can't kick it into gear. I honestly feel like an airhead. I forget things all the time; I start saying something to Mc and I pause mid-sentence because the thought just completely leaves my mind. I can't think of the names of things-- nouns escape me. I get easily distracted by something and I forget what I was doing or what I was going to do. I'm surprised I haven't ruined more dinners that way. Nightly heartburn, growing belly, loose ligaments and joints... all those I can handle; but this stupid-spell I'm going through is getting really annoying, and there's nothing I can do about it :( Hopefully it won't continue after this baby is born!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I know how you feel! Mark made fun of me for months because every time I left the car I forgot to take off my sunglasses. Not being able to remember simple things is the worst. The heartburn is actually really annoying too though...

Becky said...

Yes! A pregnancy post. I like to hear about other people's pregnancies. I too suffered pregnancy brain. It was challenging trying to stay on top of things at work because I would just forget stuff. Then I would cry and say the baby was eating my brain.
My aunt Anne Marie once told me a story of when she was pregnant. She went to the store, got the kids out of the car and shopped. When she got back to her car, she saw that she had left all the doors open, and left the keys in the car... with the car on. Now THAT is serious pregnancy brain.

Jill & Jake said...

It is a sciencitific fact that your brain shrinks during pregnancy. It then takes upto 6 months to get back to normal. (But it's never the same again.) I read it in the Journal of American Medicine.

Lisa D said...

So you're saying the more children a woman has, the stupider she becomes?

Laura said...

Wow! Where does that leave me?

Lisa D said...

Many decades ago science concluded that women's brains were smaller than men's brains, and therefore men were smarter than women (that was later disproved).
Now science is saying that women who have children are left with smaller/altered brains than women who do not have children. The point of presenting facts is to support conclusions. Sounds to me like "experts" are suggesting to women that if you want to keep your brain the same size, don't have kids.