Thursday, November 19, 2015

My Baby Girl Has Glasses

     Baby Girl's first pair of glasses came in today.  We picked them up this morning and she's been wearing them all day.

 
     For her 5-year well-visit at the doctor last month they did a vision check, and she could see the eye chart well with her left eye, but she couldn't read anything on it with her right eye.  So I set up an appointment with an optometrist downtown to see what was going on.

     The doctor said that her left eye is just fine, and if both eyes were like her left one then she wouldn't need to be here in the office at all.  But her right eye has moderate astigmatism as well as pretty strong farsightedness.  So the doctor came up with a prescription that should help.

     I feel bad.  This whole time I thought Baby Girl just had really poor coordination and that she was just a klutz because she trips over her own feet and bumps into things all the time.  I never thought it was her vision because she can read and write just fine, she colors perfectly within the lines, and she didn't seem to have problems with seeing things far away either.  But after finding out what her eyes are like, it seems that her left eye was just making up for the right one, and that her clumsiness is probably due to her not being able to see properly on the right side of her body.  Maybe that's also why she is often timid and afraid of trying new playground equipment: the ground looks fuzzy and she can't see around her well enough.

     I'm going to keep an eye on her coordination and see if she trips and bumps into things less.  She did stumble a few times on the way back to the car from the eye doctor, but that's because this is the first time her right eye is getting the help it needs and it's the first time in years that she's seeing the ground clearly, so there was some adjustment to be made.

     I prepared her beforehand by telling her that it might take a few days for her eyes to get used to the new glasses, and if she feels really tired or if she gets a headache, she should tell me.  Today she seemed fine, though, so I'm hopeful that she'll adjust well and quickly.

     And hey, now she can see Obsidian clearly when she's playing with him!

4 comments:

Stacy Christensen said...

Thanks for posting pictures of your baby girl. Her glasses look cute! I'm glad she'll be able to see properly now! <3

Laura said...

Morgan looks so cute in her new glasses. How wonderful that you were able to find out this soon that she needed them. Sometimes kids go years before anything is noticed, especially if it isn't a big vision correction.

Raising kids is a always an adventure, just when you think that you have it figured out, they go through another stage of development and you are in unknown territory again. It's all part of the adventure and fun of raising kids. Enjoy the ride and don't be hard on yourself. Kids don't come with an instruction manual. We all have to figure it out as we go. We do the best we can with what we have. Somehow kids learn and grow up to be wonderful adults. See how well you and Mike turned out! :D

Anonymous said...

Baby Girl!!!

Okay, I think this course of action is the right one. She is young and will adjust quickly to what will ultimately help her. Good catch, Lisa!

Looking (ha!) forward to seeing (ha!) you all really soon!

Love, Mom~

Anonymous said...

She looks great! I'm glad that she'll now be able to adjust to seeing properly. Can't wait to see her soon!!!

~Amy