It looks like I'll be homeschooling Baby Girl this year.
Ever since she was born
I've been lightly considering the option of homeschooling, and over
the past three or four weeks I've been seriously considering it because Baby Girl is now kindergarten-age, and now is the time to make these decisions. Our plan was to get her into school this year and see how she does, and if we feel like homeschooling would be the better option for her, then we'd take her out after this first year and I would be her homeschool teacher starting next year.
Well, last week I found out that not only did she miss the cutoff for getting into kindergarten this year because her 5th birthday is after Aug. 31 (I already figured that would be the case), but it turns out that we also missed the cutoff for getting her tested to get her into kindergarten early; that was earlier this month when we were getting settled in the new house and the kids were in California. Little One will be attending the early childhood center in our school district for a couple of hours every school-day so he can improve his language skills, and I looked into the co-op option at his school for Baby Girl, but they're full and the timing wouldn't work out anyway. So homeschool is the only option for her this year.
I'll be honest: the idea of homeschooling stresses me out. A lot. I haven't quite pinpointed what causes me the most stress about it, but I'm stressed nevertheless. I've considered the many pros and cons for both public school and homeschooling, and I'm truly stuck and I don't know which will be best for her. This year I don't have a choice in the matter, so we'll see how it goes. In Washington, we have until she's 8 years old (3rd grade) to put her into public school if she isn't already in a private school or being homeschooled, so I've got three years to see what she needs.
I love my baby girl and I want to do what's best for her. Today I told her that this year I'm going to be her teacher, and she was happy about that, so at least for now it's looking to be a positive experience. And now we get to see if I've got what it takes to do the homeschool thing. I have serious doubts, but maybe I'll surprise myself.
1 comment:
Have you looked into homeschooling books? I'm not sure where you can find them but I know they exist. You can also access kindergarten curriculum for your state online. It will give you a basic outline of learning objectives that are taught in kindergarten. As she progresses, you can access curriculum for other grade levels too. There might also be a network of moms who do homeschooling in your area that can help you.
Set a regular daily schedule to do school work, field trips, etc. and stick with it. Make it a priority.
You will do a fine job as Morgan's teacher this year. Remember that you already know all the basic things taught in kindergarten and you get to think of fun and interesting ways to help Morgan learn it. She's a smart girl and will learn quickly. It can be a great experience for both of you. Don't worry about it, do your best, enjoy it, and have fun. You will both do great!
Post a Comment