Friday, September 26, 2014

Motorcycles and Protecting Children

I had an incredible day yesterday because I saw something that combines two things I'm passionate about: cruiser motorcycles and protecting children from abuse.

Yesterday morning right before my alarm went off I was having a dream that I was going to race my cousin on motorcycles on a racing course.  Then a few hours later I hopped on Facebook and one of the "suggested posts" was one about a biker gang, and so I clicked on it.  And I was so surprised about what I saw.

There is a motorcycle organization called "Bikers Against Child Abuse", and they go around helping children who are victims of abuse.  I'm bad at paraphrasing, so I'll just show you the YouTube video I saw:


While watching this video I began to cry and even to tremble because I'm very passionate about both of these things and I was amazed that they could be combined this way.  Let me tell you why I feel the way I do about this.

Motorcycles
I've always loved cruiser motorcycles.  Even when I was a kid, whenever I'd see a group of bikers riding down the road together I'd smile and sometimes even squeal with joy.  Now that I'm older the squealing with joy has stopped (for the most part) but I still smile every time I see a cruiser and my heart leaps when I see a group of riders together.  That's how I want to travel, that's how I want to get from point A to point B: on a cruiser.  It's my dream vehicle.

About 10 years ago during my first summer at UC Davis, I took a basic riding course and passed it and I got my motorcycle license.  I forgot to add M1 to my application when I renewed my license and so ever since then I've only had a car-driver's license.  But about once a year or so since then I have very realistic dreams about riding a motorcycle-- like the one I had yesterday-- and the desire to ride is still very strong in me.

Protecting Children
Also at UC Davis, I took a Women's Self Defense class just for fun.  It teaches the Rape Aggression Defense program and I was surprised to find out that I'm very passionate about this.  I became a TA for the class for the next two quarters, and when I graduated from college I went down to Los Angeles to become a certified R.A.D. instructor.  Mc and I moved to Minnesota shortly after that, and I taught a few classes and I was working with the University of Minnesota to get the R.A.D. program reestablished there.  Their budget didn't work out for it and I was discouraged, and then I became pregnant with our first child and so I gave up on teaching.

Ever since becoming a parent, every now and then I have a hard time falling asleep because I'm thinking step-by-step about what I would do to someone if they ever hurt my child.  Anyone who even tries to take or hurt one of my kids will find themselves pummeled into the ground by me.  I know how to fight and I won't hold back.  I never thought about this before I had kids because I'm not a "kid person" and in general I didn't enjoy being around them.  But I've changed a little in that regard.  Adults can hurt each other and they can fight back, but kids are so small and often helpless.  Kids are also trusting, and I know that if my kids were in danger they would look to me with pleading eyes for help and they would trust that I could help them, and I would do everything in my power-- which is a lot-- to get them out of danger.

Watching this video made me cry because children are being abused everywhere-- in their own homes and in the foster system-- and all too often they have nowhere they can turn for help.  But bikers are tough, many people are scared of them and intimidated by them (and they should be!), and if a child knows they have a biker gang looking out for them and who will ride to them if they call and need help, then think of how much power and confidence it gives those kids!

**********************

For months now Mc and I have been talking about getting me a motorcycle.  We've looked at prices, gas mileage, and insurance, and in many ways a motorcycle is cheaper and more practical than a second car.  It's also has its dangers too, and I'm well aware of them.  But the reason we haven't gone past the "thinking about it" stage is because I'm too practical and I can't justify the expense when the only time I'd get to ride is maybe to the store for something or with the family somewhere when Mc could drive the kids in the car.

But now, this is a perfect reason to finally get a motorcycle!  After watching this video I felt filled with purpose and a desire to become part of this organization.  I want to do this.  I want to release my inner motorcycle chick so that I can ride a vehicle that I've always wanted and so I can be a part of a biker group who's purpose is to protect and empower children against abuse.  It's not a job I'd be getting paid for, but this combines two things I'm very passionate about and the thought of it is very fulfilling, and this is what I want to do.

I've started looking for riding courses here in Washington so I can get my M1 license again, and then I'll look into buying a motorcycle.  I'm so excited about this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool, Leese! I'm glad you feel so strongly about something, and want to support. Just be careful! There are some dumb drivers who aren't looking for motorcycles on the road! :/

~Amy