Thursday, August 18, 2011

They're Finally Here!

They finally arrived: two textbooks about interior design!

Back in college while I was studying International Relations-- which turned out to be a huge waste of a college degree, but that's another topic for another time-- I sketched out a housing design for fun based off of a house that I saw in a movie that I really liked. A year and a half later when Mc and I got cable I found the HGTV channel which is all about house decorating and design and things like that, and I realized, "Hey, I really like this stuff!"

Fast-forward to today. Over the past month or so I've been feeling like I'm not going anywhere or accomplishing anything in my life, that I'm stuck in one place. So I looked online for community college classes that I could take either online or during the evening when Mc can be home with the baby. Something to make me feel like I'm learning something that's both interesting and useful; personal enrichment. I looked at interior design classes and cooking classes, and although some of them would have worked with my schedule, because I haven't been in Arizona for at least a year I am considered an "out-of-state resident" as far as colleges are concerned. There's no way I was going to pay $2,000 for 2 classes at a community college, NO WAY! So I became depressed again and I felt like, "Well now what? I'm back where I started." Then Mc suggested I could at least get some of the books, and I thought, "That could work. I would still be learning what I want to learn and then after a year I'll be ready for classes... if I still want to go that route." That helped me feel better. Now the books are here and I feel like I'm learning again and putting my brain to good use, that I'm working toward something and not just sitting at home wasting away, day after day. I'm happy :)

4 comments:

Becky said...

Yay! I'm glad you found something to do that you enjoy. I remember feeling unproductive when I was a stay at home mommy. But, I had mommy sister and mommy friends to interact with. Being in a new place kinda puts you at a disadvantage.
I'm glad you are pursuing the further development of your mind!

Laura said...

I love HGTV! Good for you taking the initiative to go after your interests. You don't have to be in school to be a lifelong learner.

Laura said...

I think thats great!!! I have a feeling I will feel the same way after I graduate with a masters. I'm getting so used to being in school, that I dont know what I would do with out it. Way to be pro-active and fin a way that works for you to be enriched!

Krista said...

I think thats great!!! I have a feeling I will feel the same way after I graduate with a masters. I'm getting so used to being in school, that I dont know what I would do with out it. Way to be pro-active and fin a way that works for you to be enriched! (PS This comment originally comes from me! KRISTA)